My first day was a good one! Thankfully the gal that's been subbing to fill my position for the past 2 weeks was there today to walk me through my day with my student. He sure is a witty little booger! He's very smart... I think he has just gotten off easy as far as not being pushed to complete work... and he's not used to that (which will definitely change with me...! He won't be a quitter on my watch!). SO... highlight of my day..? I helped get him to complete his spelling test... AND, a funny moment at the end of the day:
We were playing a game with these oversized foam die... and at one point he said, "Come on dice! B needs a new pair of shoes!" LOL I about died laughing.... this was a great point in the day because it helped me to realize that he's really smart... I mean, he knew exactly what context to use a joking phrase like that! It gives me a lot of hope. After I was done for the day I ran over to the local education shop and picked up some stickers and some small incentive charts... I'm figuring he should be able to complete a chart a week (given he finishes his assignments and does well for the day) and then perhaps I'll have something to reward him with on Fridays. I've mulled over the idea that if he completes his spelling tests on Fridays I'll eat lunch with him that day... I haven't really thought too much about what sort of "rewards" he'd get on Fridays for completing assignments and doing well during the days during the week.
Anyhow, I'm super excited about how things went today and look forward to the rest of the year... it sure would be great if I had some work space in the classroom, tho... like just a small desk/table or something. I may have to see if I can talk to the teacher and see if she would mind or if it's possible.
1 comment:
This is awesome Kels. I'm so glad your first day went so well. He sounds like a great kid.
Post a Comment